Blood flow restriction training is not new to Flipping 50. This may be the third podcast in just a few short months. Yet, today’s guest barely needs an intro, he’s referred to as a household word by many of my clients and friends. And for good reason.
Dr. Mercola, is founder of Mercola.com that has been most visited natural health web site for the last 15 years even despite Google censoring him and removing him from the search engines in June of 2019.
Questions we answer in this episode:
- Is it blood flow restriction training safe?
- What contraindications are there for blood flow restriction training?
- Let’s talk safety compared to resistance training without use of BFR… and let’s throw in compared to not resistance training after 50?
- Is there carry over to the chest, back, glutes? Or are the arms and legs- bicep/triceps/hamstrings/quadriceps the only muscles that benefit?
- What are your thoughts about Passive use?
- What are the biggest benefits of BFR?
- The added plus for fast twitch muscle fiber
- muscle hypertrophy
- How is BFR related to metabolism and to reaction skills
- And specifically Bone density is a reason for weight bearing and weight training – with weight training having greater benefits especially after an age when for any individual high impact exercise either becomes uncomfortable, or unsafe, or both. There seems to be less research
- The specific scientific studies use protocols like these, what’s your though on using bands with your usual set of exercises – say a common super set alternating two exercises for 3 or 4 sets wearing the BFR?
- What are your thoughts on sticking to protocols?
Examples of protocols that are published:
- 3 sets: 30 repetitions, 25 repetitions, and 20 repetitions with 15 seconds rest between each set
- 4 sets: 30 repetitions, followed by 3 sets of 15 repetitions with 30 seconds rest between sets
Mentioned on the show:
- 15 minutes on arms
- 20 minutes on legs
- Rest a minute – releasing the bands – then do a next exercise
Flipping 50 listeners: Visit BFR.mercola.com for free bonus
Then register! For the STRONGER program that is introducing it as an option if you’d rather do lighter than heavier (or need to)
Hurry! The window closes soon! January 5th is the last day!
You might also like: