Gain Strength After 50?
Can I gain muscle and gain strength after 50? Two frequent questions I’m asked. And for good reason! Muscle mass not only contributes to your metabolism but it determines your successful independent living later in life.
When I began presenting on stages internationally in the 90’s I often said sexy now is one thing but later it’s going to be who can carry their own tray in the dining room. Truth. Today’s episode is in part about some of the research making waves and about contents of the Flipping 50 Member box too good not to share.
In the Flipping 50 Member box recently we’ve added super strength bands- also known as blood flow restriction bands used in a special Kaatsu training method. As always the Flipping 50 Member Box is filled with items vetted and used by me and I also love to introduce you to the creators and people behind the company.
That’s what today is all about. In the show notes I’ll be linking to the products –F50MB subscribers have a special market place access to find at a better rate – and I’ll also link to a recent blog all about the technique complete with videos. The method is going to be an extra bonus for STRONGER I participants this last quarter of 2019.
My guest is creator of BFR bands that went into our Flipping 50 Member box this month.
As a personal trainer, Kusha Karvandi has trained over 10,000 hours of one-on-one sessions. With over 20 nationally-recognized certifications, and a unique specialty in neuroscience, Kusha’s ability to transform his clients is unlike any other coach in the fitness industry. Although considered the eternal student, Kusha describes his coaching philosophy by the latin word “docere” which implies ‘coach as teacher.’ Kusha is the creator of the BFR Bands, designed for the research-backed form of training known as blood flow restriction training, which helps you gain muscle tone and strength without lifting heavy weight.
Questions We Answer in This Episode:
- So, if a woman is able to lift heavy and willing to, research seems to prefer results from heavy to results from blood flow restriction bandsalthough there’s promise in the gains from BFR (compared to not using them with light loads), do you concur?
- What if any research is there about bone density benefits?
- That said, there’s a lot of great opportunity for strength after 50 in using BFR including less recovery time, an easy travel alternative, or during bedrest/other injury or life getting in the way of the “gym” an easy way to prevent muscle loss – do you have some customer stories to share?
- Let’s talk about protocol for listeners that varies from the traditional 2-3 times a week strength training protocol? What’s the ideal frequency?
- And in terms of sets and repetitions, let’s talk about that for listeners seeking strength after 50 because that too is unique…
- Let’s talk about the elephant in the room… the bands look like some big muscle head in the deep dark of the weight room would use them. In fact, when you go shopping online it’s pretty apparent that they are intended for body builders, or figure competitors, there’s not a menopausal female in any of the ads I saw for over 2 dozen different products, are you trying to change that? Why and how?
- So, truth there is some research on older adults, both resistance training, aerobic exercising, and even at rest or bedrest … what areas show promise for this tool with regard to age?
- Should my listeners be using it? or should they be using it for their parents seeking strength after 50!?
- Last, we’re super excited about the lower body bands our Flipping 50 member box subscribers are getting gifted! Do you also have upper body bands? We don’t want to skip that!
Links to the BFR bands:
(Flipping 50 Member Box subscribers: Use your special Market Place to get yours at the better rate on additional sets)
Links to resources mentioned:
I’d love to hear from you on this one. Are you intrigued? Inspired to use BFR bands? Want some guidance? (Check out STRONGERwhile it’s open as we’re incorporating it into STRONGER I and STRONGER IV programming!)