What are the best HIIT workouts for women over 50? Lisa B. asked this question inside our Flipping 50 Insider’s Community – I’ll link to the group in the show notes. She asked for recommendations on intervals and so this quick answer is full of a few key things you want to remember if you’re wondering what are the best HIIT workouts for women over 50.
Should You Be Doing HIIT Now?
If you’re not sure you should be doing HIIT, you may want to watch my TEDx talk. I’ll link to that. For hormone balance, HIIT is one of the best things you can do, as long as you’re not already exhausted or dealing with adrenal fatigue.
You’ll get there, but before you choose an exercise like HIIT that definitely will help you use cortisol optimally, you’ve got to have an ample supply of it. Watch the 14-minute TEDx talk (and I’d so appreciate you sharing it) when you can.
No more than 45 minutes a week of intervals.
The total interval cycle being both the work and the recovery time. So 10 minutes would be 5 sets of 1:00 work interval and 1:00 recovery, as an example. At 45 minutes a week injury rates seem to skyrocket. The micro-tearing that occurs with high intensity exercise is greater than that of low to moderate exercise. So more isn’t better. This looks like 2 20-25 minute sessions a week or 3 15-minute sessions a week.
Choose your mode thoughtfully.
High impact running for speed or for hill or incline training is harder on the body that say swimming intervals or rowing machine intervals. You can create intervals from any mode of exercise. We do it twice a week live right now with the Flipping 50 member’s group with zero equipment and often little to no impact.
Get breathless.If you haven’t earned the desire to stop and catch your breath you haven’t truly done the high intensity intervals or sprint interval training that boosts fat burning and supports hormone balance (mainly cortisol and followed closely by testosterone and growth hormone).
Samples of the best HIIT workouts for women over 50
- one I’ve shared in a prior post I’ll link to is Sprint Interval Training and a 2019 study featuring post-menopausal women showed it decreased body fat and increased lean muscle tissue. Performed on an exercise bike (or your bike on a trainer- I’ll link to how you do that from a prior blog post too) you warm up and cool down for 8 minutes each, and perform 20 minutes of 8 seconds hard, 12 seconds recovery.
- Another is a simple 1:00/1:00 work/recovery ratio. If you’re doing a hill workout outdoors, you’ll need twice as long to recover and walk back down. It doesn’t matter if you walk or you run, as long as you get breathless. This one too can be done on a bike. The beauty of bike is less injury risk.
I give you some examples the 5 Day Flip video series –I’ve taken it from random to organized to get results. If you’re not already doing a program that includes intervals and strength training, or if it’s not working for you, this is the perfect start.
What the best HIIT workouts for women over 50 are NOT:
Remember you’re not after “AMRAP” as many reps as possible in a short amount of time. A term made popular by Crossfitters, your form will easily fall apart, putting you at risk for injury. Find modes of exercise and moves that are safe and effective.
There you have it, best HIIT workouts for women over 50.
Please leave a rating in iTunes! It really helps!
- Visit Flipping 50 on iTunes
- Click listen in iTunes
- Click ratings and reviews
- Leave your 5 star rating (seriously I’d love it, but your authentic comments are what I need to grow and give you more of what you want and less of what you can leave!)
- Know how much I appreciate you doing this!
Resources Mentioned in this Podcast:
Do you have a question? Leave it below the show link at flippingfifty.com/best-HIIT-workouts or better yet, share it with me in the new Flipping 50 Insider’s group on Facebook, I love hearing from you! If this episode was helpful, please leave a rating in iTunes and then share it with a friend! Surround yourself with a supportive community of women on the same journey.
To get the most from this week’s episode, check out today’s show notes at flippingfifty.com/ where you’ll find the juicy free downloads and resources mentioned on the show. Let’s start flipping 50 together!