Got plans to get fit this summer? It’s a perfect time to do it! More hours of sunlight and easy, breezy ways to move without tons of layers and mittens may inspire you. But then there’s the Moscow Mules and campfires, the wedding cakes, and long brunches. You can get fit without sabotaging yourself this summer with this simple 10 ways to get fit (and avoid sabotage).
- Stock up on Protein and Fiber
Protein + fiber kill cravings. Fact. So include them both at every meal. In fact, if you missed my podcast with Dr. Gabrielle Lyons click here. You need more than most women are getting. The first place to look is breakfast. Don’t skip and don’t have that orange juice! Listen here.
Special listener-only protein special will help you stock up with a clean protein free of ingredients (in many protein shakes) that actually make you store fat easier. Use: propod for 10% off your first order
- Stock the refrigerator with fresh ready-to-eat veggies that can be enjoyed with hummus, or grilled or stir-fried in minutes.
- asparagus spears
- sliced zucchini and summer squash
- fresh peppers
- Don’t buy junk
If you tend to binge on the “baked chips” the “bean chips” or the frozen coconut dessert pints, or popcorn that readily turns to sugar and stores itself on your thighs…don’t bring them into the house.
If you bring them in you intend to eat them.
- Toss what junk there is out (are you really consciously saying to yourself that you’re going to go back to eating sugar and processed foods?)
Who needs it? Doesn’t it cost more to eat it and zap you of energy than it does to discard? If you’re really committed to get fit this summer they have to go.
- Get 3-4 made-in-advance meals done and in the freezer right now.
Cook once and eat many times. Grill 2 pounds of chicken breasts instead of one. Make a one-pot meal in the oven while you’re in the kitchen anyway and then freeze it all.
- Have 2-3 fast meals you can make that satisfy everyone (taco buffet, “pasta” buffet, pizza, bowls/grills) in your tribe.
That said, don’t let yourself get bored or stale. To apply these 10 ways to get fit this summer you’re going to need variety!
Include your freezer made-ahead- meals or consider a roasted chicken from the store occasionally.
I love frozen cooked shrimp. Thaw in minutes for a cold shrimp salad, grill or stir-fry in 5 more minutes.
Pull out the beans, pre-cooked quinoa, and combine with your made-ahead taco meat or make an omelet occasionally.
- Tell the world you’re doing something for 30 days and tell friends to ask you how it’s going when they see you. Share these 10 ways to get fit this summer with a friend or a co-worker. Then confide. Tell them your goal. It makes it real to you and the universe.
- Reward yourself.
Most of us are terrible at following through with rewards for ourselves so it’s no wonder we’re terrible at following through! This is a self-worth thing. Deal with it.
- Pay for it.
Invest with your time, money, and energy. Otherwise it will not happen. All three are required.
- Get a friend who wants to do something equally important.
The last of these 10 ways to get fit this summer is about accountability. Tell a friend. Better yet, get an acquaintance! Someone you know but barely know is a better accountability partner than someone who will love you even if you screw up! Make sure your buddy is dependent on you as well as you on her.
Coming up next this week (Thursday) on the podcast it’s a special virtual Spa Day with Robyn Benson where she’s sharing the short and long -term benefits of the vampire facial, and explaining the O-shot, P-shot and other feel-younger practices you don’t want to miss!