Love your midlife body? It’s not like a pair of broken-in shoes, is it? We tend to find flaws more often than appreciation if we’re not consciously working on a positive attitude. If you struggle with exercise, weight or habits that support an optimal weight, then this may be for you.
We’re talking about a topic women don’t talk about regularly amongst themselves. They also don’t talk about hating their bodies. We pretend on the surface to have it all together or at least don’t share the dirty little secrets that we’re vulnerable to negative thoughts. Depending on who we are we may go to great lengths to cover up the insecurities we have about our midlife body image. We may pretend it doesn’t matter.
Even if you’re of a normal weight, even an envied ideal weight, you likely know the feeling of not feeling quite thin enough or fit enough. I’ve worked with many women in 38 years. Individually, in groups, online, on the phone, in person .. and it doesn’t matter how much you weigh or what size you wear. Women all over of every size and shape share this universal feeling of not quite being there, yet.
So this episode is for you and me and all of us. It’s for every young girl you raised or mentored, and for the ones who raised you that you adore and perhaps even now with wrinkled skin and well-earned deep lines, don’t feel strong enough, experienced enough to be “there,” yet.
Tanja Shaw is a sought-after life and weight loss coach, founder or Fit + Vibrant You Coaching Programs, owner of Ascend Fitness + Lifestyle, a holistic health coaching studio in Chilliwack, BC. and host of the Fit and Vibrant You Podcast. Tanja has built a credible reputation for helping 1000s take control over food, feel good in their body, and fully LIVE their life.
Tanja, her husband Keith, and their son Jacob live in Chilliwack, BC, about an hour outside of Vancouver Canada. She loves being active outdoors, such as running, hiking, paddle boarding, mountain biking, and camping. She also loves a good cup of coffee and a glass of red wine.
“I like the world of ands”
Questions we answer in this episode:
- 02:50 So many women want to lose weight, get fit, etc., why do you think self-love is so important – and potentially so missing?
- 05:24 What’s some evidence that self-love is missing?
- 10:17 Women often have this idea that when they lose weight, get fit, or look a certain way, they will feel a certain thing. Let’s unpack that and what really happens.
- 11:05 If you love and accept yourself, a woman may fear it means that she has to accept where she is right now or settles. What do you say to that?
- 12:21 What else comes up when you discuss self-love?
- 17:45 What are common denominators you notice with women who struggle with consistent healthy dietary, exercise, or lifestyle habits that lead to optimal weight?
- 29:55 We know this is important… but HOW do you actually do it?
Most times we don’t just want to lose weight, we want to feel a certain way.
There you have it, our episode for midlife body love. Take a minute and tell her she’s great. Tell her thanks. For the babies, the pleasure, the stamina, the tolerance, and all the things to come. You’ve taken her on a ride and she’s still taking you around the block.
Connect with Tanja:
Free Training for Women Over 50: www.fitvibrant50.com