Welcome to season II of Flipping 50 TV!
Episode 14 of Flipping 50 TV answered Sandy’s question about why walking all summer never got her a single pound of weight loss. Though she had walked miles and miles she was frustrated at the end of the summer because the scale never moved.
Sandy has a super high stress level and rated her quality of sleep low.
To get a great night sleep, you have to start early with a bedtime routine that cues your body that it’s time to sleep. Adding the following may help:
- shut off screens
- take a bath (in epsom salt)
- read a good book (not a great one!)
- add a magnesium supplement to your evening meal
- make sure the environment is cool, quiet, and dark
Good sleep habits overall will help. I added a worry journal and a gratitude journal to Sandy’s sleep routine so she can eliminate the need to later stare at the ceiling with thoughts, and she can end the day on a positive note to invite sweet dreams.
Muscles in Minutes:
- Weight Training: Sandy has just begun and this will be crucial for boosting lean muscle
- Walking long, slow, and steady is fine 1 or 2 days a week
- In addition to that Sandy needs intervals to help balance her stress hormones better so I gave her the following weekly cardio options to choose from and use 1-2 times a week in exchange for simply putting in miles.
1.) 00:30 hard seconds and 1:00 rest (for 10 minutes) – mostly mouth breathing on the 30-second intervals
2.) 1:00 hard and 2:00 rest (for 12 minutes) – mostly mouth breathing on the 1-minute intervals
3.) Fartlek – randomly choose a landmark and increase speed to reach it, recover and repeat (for 15 minutes). e.g. run to the mailbox, walk to the corner, sprint to the stop sign.
4.) Long, slow walk up to 75 minutes (mostly nose breathing, slight exertion). This one she’s got down!
Sandy had a fairly good diet with very few foods that would trigger intolerance. The exceptions were dairy, eggs, and soy that might be sneaking into her salad dressing or tuna. Remove those products and substitute with:
- Goat cheese
- Coconut or almond milk Greek yogurt
- Dairy and soy free mayo
- Almond, cashew or coconut milk
Sandy be able to continue enjoying the foods she likes while she tests whether dairy and eggs might be a part of her resistance to weight loss. She can then follow the After 50 Fitness Formula for reintroducing foods.
The Key Flip of the Day:
You can’t win weight loss with better sleep and lower stress levels alone, but you can be weight loss resistant if your sleep is too low and your stress is too high.