Want to Start Running (or Start Anything?)
My guest Tracy today started running at 45. She is hooked. She has done 5 marathons in a year. Where can you catch that?
She didn’t start running until around age 45. She have watched her parents be very active in triathlon for the last 30 years. Both doing Kona multiple times and her dad earning 1st place at age 66 in Kona.
She always admired their activity but just didn’t catch the “bug” myself until my 40s. As a nurse, she started paying attention to the health of those that stayed active versus those that lived a sedentary life.
Her Racing Career
Her love for running came at age 45 running approximately 5 half marathons a year. At age 48, I did my first sprint triathlon with her mom (who just did Machu Picchu at age 70). She did 5 more sprints over the next year and decided that at 50 she would run my first full marathon as well as train for her first half Ironman.
She learned from watching her parents that age truly is just a number and not an excuse not to be active. Trying to navigate through menopause, she can’t image not having swim, bike, run as my “therapy”. I definitely feel it has saved me at times during the highs and lows of hormonal changes.
Questions we covered during the episode:
- You didn’t just start running! Five marathons a year, girlfriend? Who does that?
- Do you train alone, in a group, with friend?
- Say more about your hormone changes. What have you experienced?
- How has your nutrition changed or has it? What kind of pre and post or during for long runs nutrition works for you?
- How about your other family members? Husband, kids, friends? Are they also active?
- What’s coming up for you this year?
- What do you project if you can see yourself at 70? 15 years goes so fast what will you be doing?
- What’s your favorite now? Running or the cross training multisport approach in triathlon?
Please leave a rating in iTunes! It really helps!
- VisitFlipping 50 on iTunes
- Click listen in iTunes
- Click ratings and reviews
- Leave your 5 star rating (seriously I’d love it, but your authentic comments are what I need to grow and give you more of what you want and less of what you can leave!)
- Know how much I appreciate you doing this!
Are you inspired?
Are you too an inspiration? I’d love to hear from you!