Leptin resistance can be a big part of weight loss resistance. Could it be your challenge? Listen to this episode to find out.
Of the many hormones (and cascade of events) influenced by cortisol, leptin is one. It can mean you find it hard to push away from the table or find yourself looking for food again soon after a meal.
But what do you do about leptin resistance if you do have it? We answer that and more in this episode.
The interview with Dr. Bindiya Gandhi is full of the practical applications of science in easy-to-understand terms. You may find it interesting to learn that not only can weight gain be caused by hormones but excess weight influences your hormones.
Let’s get to the bottom of leptin resistance.
Dr. Bindiya Gandhi is double boarded by the American Board of Family Medicine as well as the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Physicians.
She is not only a weight loss doctor & guru but also a leptin & hormone expert, especially in helping women reset their metabolism.
Her interests include integrative, holistic, and functional medicine, women’s health, preventative medicine, international medicine, and health care reform. She’s also a certified yoga instructor and reiki master. She used to practice emergency medicine as well. Dr. Bindiya is a media expert and contributor to numerous sites including The Daily Mail, MindbodyGreen, Clean Plated, Well + Good, and more! When she’s not working or writing you can find her in the kitchen cooking, doing yoga, or enjoying time with her family.
Questions we answer in this episode:
- [04:00] I find that most people have their own story as to how they came to work in this field. Can you elaborate on your story for us?
- [07:55] Describe the hormone leptin, known as the satiety hormone, and why is it important for listeners on a weight loss journey?
- [10:45] Discuss weight and the impact on hormones.
- [16:37] Discuss the conventional approach to losing weight versus the functional medicine approach? Why is weight loss important for hormone balance?
- [22:25] Let’s discuss the science behind weight loss via diets that cause the body to do everything possible to gain back the weight and more?
- [26:51] What about early satiety? In those who are overweight, I’ve observed that not just a small percentage.
- [27:12] How do you test for leptin (what is an optimal number?)
- [27:59] How would one become leptin resistant?
- [28:13] Is there a connection between triglycerides level and leptin?
- [31:00] How can listeners reverse leptin resistance?
The higher BMI the higher the circulating hormone is.
-Dr. Bindiya Ghandi
Connect with Dr. Bindiya:
Smart Scales for body composition- https://www.flippingfifty.com/resources