Today’s episode is all about taking what you’re already doing right and amplifying it, then taking what you’re unintentionally doing to self-sabotage and eliminating it! The question today comes from Denise who is self-sabotaging her exercise habits at every turn with sugar-free snacks.
Chemicals in sugar-free and fat-free foods are foreign invaders that confuse your body. As a protection against these foreign invaders, your body slows your metabolism. Your body acts similarly when it gets pounded with stress. The response in your body to sugar-free and fat-free foods can be the same as if you ate sugar, PLUS they keep you addicted to a sweet taste. That’s a definite need for a flip. Read more about those so-called “diet foods” and the fat trap they cause.
I ask everyone who sends a question to Flipping 50 TV about what they eat, how they exercise, their current weight, history, sleep, stress and any special conditions, so I can put that in my filter and create the best possible solutions.
My at-a-glance suggestions for Denise are these:
- Flip some of your sugar-free, but chemical-laden, snacks into things that help you firm, tone, and get to your optimal weight.
- Make some dinner flips to help move your quality of sleep rating from a 3 closer to a 9 or 10. (Yes! It works both ways: your food choices will improve your sleep, and your sleep will increase the quality of your food choices – adding up to increased energy to move more.)
Denise’s report card:
Exercises regularly –
- Cardio three times a week
- Strength training twice a week
Based on this great foundation, I had two suggestions for Denise.
Muscles in Minutes
- Make intervals your focus more often. That long slow exercise can age you faster, make you more tired, and increase your cravings. That’s a buzz kill!
- Make fatigue a player every day you do strength training. This is one of the top three mistakes women 50 and over make with their exercise. If you’re one of those women who is exercising but not seeing results, read this so you understand the difference between TIRED and FATIGUE.
Minute Made Meals
When you need a snack, FLIP your sugar free popsicles into a high protein chocolate smoothie bowl or “nice cream.” When you start bumping protein, fiber, and antioxidants through non-starchy veggies, you will have fewer cravings for unhealthy treats very soon!
Go get my smoothie bowl (and smoothie) recipes now!
The Key Flip of the Day
I’m flipping all over (if I could do cartwheels I would!) with tips for Denise, or for you if you’re making similar mistakes. There are no short cuts. If it sounds too good to be true – sugar-free this, fat-free that, it probably is. Real food will satisfy you and get you “real flipping fit.” Make sure whatever you put in your body, it recognizes it as food. Make sure you reach fatigue when you exercise, whether that’s muscular fatigue or breathlessness.